During the Birmingham City Council Meeting held Tuesday, May 22, 2012, Council:
1. Approved a Resolution relative to the application of Worley Brothers Scrap and Iron and Metal of Alabama, LLC for a Junk Dealer and/or Scrap Metal Processors License to be used at 1600 Avenue C Ensley, Birmingham.Â For more information, contact the Office of Councilor Johnathan Austin at 254-2678
2. Delayed for one (1) week an Ordinance "TO FURTHER AMEND THE CAPITAL FUND BUDGET" by transferring $475,000.00 of Fund 131 2010 Recovery Zone Economic Development Warrants from Park Improvements â€“ Dolomite-Westfield Park and $200,000.00 from Wiggins Park and appropriating $275,000.00 to Riley-Trevellick (Park Avenue between 38th and 40th Streets) to complete the street improvement and $400,000.00 to Public Facilities â€“ Fire Station No. 4 Oxmoor for the construction of a new fire station.Â For more information contact the Office of Council President Roderick Royal at 254-2302.
3. Placed on consent an Ordinance "TO FURTHER AMEND THE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DESIGNATIONS FUND BUDGET" to consolidate balances of line items in Fund 031 - Community Development Designations for agreements with non-profit entities that are no longer in existence or agreements and contracts that have expired, and re-allocating appropriations to use for other Title I Eligible Activities.
4. Approved a Resolution determining that the Mayor's Annual Awards Luncheon, sponsored by the Keep Birmingham Beautiful Commission to be held July 19, 2012 and the Mayorâ€™s Annual Holiday Luncheon to be held December 13, 2012, serves a public purpose that promotes goodwill and serves a public interest, and requesting that City funds be used to pay for these events.
Â 5. Adopted a Resolution requesting the Mayor authorize the Traffic Engineering Department to erect a street sign at 43rd Street North and the 3700 Block, in the Harriman Park Neighborhood, in memory of Mr. Earnest Colvin.Â For more information, contact the Office of Councilor Jay Roberson at 254-2418.
6. Adopted a Resolution requesting the Mayor authorizes the Traffic Engineering Department to erect a street sign at the corner of 20th Street and Ensley/5 Points West Avenue and Ensley/5 Points West Avenue and Pike Road, in the Tuxedo Neighborhood, in memory of Mr. Eddie Kendricks.Â For more information, contact the Office of Councilor Jay Roberson at 254-2418.
7. Adopted a Resolution requesting the Mayor authorizes the Traffic Engineering Department to erect a street sign on Buckner Drive between Sears Drive and Burton Drive, in the Zion City Neighborhood, in honor of Mrs. Elois Ramsey.Â For more information, contact the Office of Councilor Jay Roberson at 254-2418.
8. Set a public hearing July 10, 2012, to consider the adoption of a resolution assenting to the vacation of 5,439 square feet of 7th Avenue South (angular parking area) that runs parallel to and between 6th Avenue South and University Boulevard and perpendicular to and between 19th Street South and 20th Street South, on behalf of Richard Margison (on behalf of the University of Alabama at Birmingham), owner, so that the UAB School of Dentistry can own and maintain the parking spaces, Case No. SUB2012-00022.Â For more information, contact the Office of Councilor Jay Roberson at 254-2418.
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND REMINDERS
1.The Planning and Zoning Committee will convene today at 4:00 p.m. in the 5th Floor Engineering Conference Room.
2. CANCELLED â€“ The Administration Committee Meeting scheduled for Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 2:00 p.m. in Conference Rooms "D&E"
3. CANCELLED â€“ The Committee of the Whole Meeting/Budget Work Session scheduled for Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 4:00 p.m. in Conference Rooms "D&E"
4. Due to City Hall being closed Monday, May 28, 2012, in observance of Memorial Day, the Finance and Budget Committee will meet Monday, June 4, 2012, at 4:00 p.m. in Conference Rooms "D&E"
5. The Economic Development Committee is scheduled to meet Monday, June 4, 2012, 12 Noon in Conference Rooms "D&E" Â The deadline to submit items is Wednesday, May 30, 2012, no later than 10 a.m.
6. For more information about committee meetings, the Birmingham City Council invites you to tour its new website at www.birminghamalcitycouncil.org.
7. The City of Birmingham will make reasonable accommodations to ensure that people with disabilities have equal opportunity to enjoy all city services, programs and activities. Â If accommodations are required for public meetings, please contact Cheryl Kidd, Council Administrator, with reasonable advance notice by emailing email@example.com or by calling 205.254.2294.
Interested in a specific item on the Council agenda?Â Log on to http://bhamal.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=2 .Â City Council meeting videos are arranged by date, with the most recent at the top of the list. Click video to watch the meeting with documents, or agenda/minutes to see just the documents. You can also search the archives by typing keywords.